Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult I have to give this book 4 stars because the story was informative and interesting and wrapped itself around my heart strings from the first page. How could I sympathize with a (girl) who might/might not have killed her baby? But sympathize I did, over and over. Picoult made me understand how these things can happen, how people disassociate from traumatic events. The way the author weaved in Katie's remembrances of that morning little by little, the way I felt like I was present at that farm, my sympathy for the son, Katie, Adam, Samuel, Sarah, each character. The reason why I didn't give this book 5 stars? Only because of the ending. It really bothers me! I can understand why Sarah would do this, I just can't understand how. And I tell myself that the baby was already dead, Sarah just hid it. When I go back and re-read the ending, this is not what it says. But on the other hand, it doesn't say that it didn't happen that way either. Then I try to wrap my mind around the character of Sarah. I keep coming back to the fact that she watched her daughter go through police interviews, the guilt, and court....and she never spoke up and told the truth. This goes against everything the author led us to believe the Amish stood for. So in my opinion, the mother was the one with problems all along....deep rooted mental problems. And then we have Adam and Katie; they walked away from each other. There was no discussion about making it work; two people from two different worlds. I guess by this time Katie knew that she could not leave the farm, the Amish way of life, not even for the man she was so in love with. So that brings me to Samuel. He, in my opinion, is the strongest character and the one who holds all of my sympathies. What a man, to forgive and stand by Katie. Perhaps I should be giving this book 5 stars, because an ending that can bother me so much, even if I didn't like it? One that I will think about and re-write in my head. Is that the sign of a 5 star read?